Acerola Cherry: The Trending Vitamin C-Rich Fruit
What is Acerola? Acerola is a beautiful green shrub or tree that has branches spread across. It grows in tropics or subtropics throughout the world. It takes about three years for the tree to produce a cherry-like fruit that is packed with important nutrients needed by the body. The taste of these fruits can range from being sour to sweet. Acerola is known to be a fruit packed with Vitamins, Riboflavin and other vital nutrients. It is commonly used in medicinal practices to treat problems that are a result of deficiencies of important vitamins and minerals in the body.
11 Amazing Health Benefits of Acerola
1. Helps Fight Cancer: Acerola fruit has a compound called anthocyanin which is helpful in treating cancer. Cancer is a serious illness which is considered very difficult to treat. Acerola fruit has been found to be helpful in fighting lung cancer especially. This is done by slowing down and then eventually putting a stop to the growth of cells that are considered to be cancerous. Acerola fruit also has properties that help in the prevention of cells against damage caused by free radicals.
2. Aids in Digestion: The fiber content found in acerola fruit makes it helpful in treating digestive problems and eliminating toxins from the body. Having a healthy digestive system is important for prevention of many serious illnesses. Fiber helps maintain a normal and healthy digestive system that helps you remove toxins from the body. Acerola fruit is found to be helpful in treating digestive issues such as constipation, diarrhea and bloating.
3. Healthy Cardiovascular System: The presence of antioxidants in acerola fruit makes it helpful in regulating a healthy cardiovascular system. This is because the antioxidants help reduce cholesterol and prevent the cardiovascular system from stress. In addition to this, acerola fruit also has an impressive content of potassium which is necessary in order to regulate healthy blood pressure levels. Potassium helps the cardiovascular system by dilating the vessels and improving blood flow.
4. Develops Immunity: As mentioned earlier, acerola fruit is gifted with an impressive content of Vitamin C. Vitamin C is helpful to the human body in a lot of ways. By adding acerola fruit to your diet, you increase your Vitamin C intake which results in higher immunity levels. This increased immunity will help you avoid infections and other illnesses. Vitamin C also helps in the production of white blood cells which are essential for the body to fight against the foreign bacterium. In addition to this, the presence of free radicals in the body can cause chronic illnesses in the body. Acerola helps prevent the damage done by these free radicals and is hence a potent addition to your diet in improving your body’s ability to fight against different illnesses.
5. Prevents and Manages Diabetes: Acerola fruit is also helpful in preventing and managing diabetes. The antioxidants found in Acerola help the body maintain normal blood sugar levels. This is helpful for individuals who have diabetes and also for people who are at risk of developing diabetes.
6. Prevents Aging: The antioxidants content in acerola fruit helps the body regularly remove toxins from the body. The extract of this fruit is also found to be helpful in reducing the oxidative stress of the body. Oxidative stress in the body can cause serious illnesses. Moreover, because of the high content of Vitamin C in this fruit, the production of collagen is increased in the body by adding acerola to your diet. This increased collagen can then prove to be effective in preventing early aging.
7. Boosts Brain Health: The high content of antioxidants found in acerola fruit helps attain improved neurological health. The antioxidants found in acerola will help you avoid problems such as dementia and Alzheimer’s. In addition to this the bioflavonoids present in acerola also improve your cognition and can be helpful for individuals belonging to all age groups. Acerola can help you prevent memory problems and can help attain improved focus.
8. Excellent for Bones and Teeth: The calcium content found in it helps prevent many problems associated with teeth and bones. As we grow old, our bones and teeth require extra care. In addition to this, the anthocyanins found in acerola also help your body fight against inflammation. Inflammation is a common problem when suffering from arthritis or gout. By adding acerola to your diet, you can improve your joints, bones, and teeth. Not only this, but the potassium content also found in acerola helps the muscles against problems such as cramps and fatigue. Hence, acerola is a great choice for people who exercise regularly.
9. Good for Vision: As you already know, Vitamin C is an important component of your vision health. Not only this, but the Vitamin A found in acerola can help you have great eye health. In addition to improving your vision and keeping your eyes healthy, it also helps your eyes against problems such as cataract and hemorrhages.
10. Good for Skin: The increased collagen caused by the high content of Vitamin C in this fruit makes it an excellent choice when trying to improve your skin. The collagen is essential for the elasticity of your skin and the use of acerola fruit can help you attain beautiful and glowing skin and prevent aging.
11. Prevents Fatigue: It is packed with different nutrients such as manganese, zinc, and potassium. By adding acerola to your diet, you will feel a noticeable change in your energy levels. This is because of the precious nutrients found in acerola. Furthermore, your body requires sufficient levels of Vitamin C to fight and avoid stress. The high level of Vitamin C found in acerola makes it helpful in reducing the overall stress of the body and gives the body more energy throughout the day.
Bottom Line: Acerola is full of nutrients and vitamins that are essential for a healthy life. However, before adding acerola in your diet, it is advised to consult with a professional regarding the dosage. This is because since acerola has a high content of Vitamin C, it is possible to experience diarrhea after consuming a high dosage of acerola. Not only this, but problems such as kidney stones are also sometimes experienced by people consuming high content of Vitamin C.
† These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Always consult your health care provider before taking any supplements. Pregnant or lactating women, people with existing medical conditions, or people taking medications should consult their health care provider/s before taking any dietary supplement. If you experience any adverse condition after taking this dietary supplement, discontinue use immediately and consult your health care provider. Keep out of reach of children.
Disclaimer - Any health related information on our website is not intended to be used to diagnose, prescribe or replace medical care. It's not intended to treat, cure, diagnose, mitigate or prevent any disease and no medical claims are made.